Leveraging the infinite potential of big data
Why support IVADO?
We are currently generating more data in 2 days than have been produced since mankind first walked the earth. This quantity of information is so massive that it cannot be processed with conventional database management tools. Yet, it’s the raw material needed for the knowledge economy. IVADO is a meeting place for scientists from various fields who are working together to determine how this data can be effectively processed. This allows for resource usage optimization in all fields of human activity through improved decision making.
Project Benefits :
- Improve business intelligence by optimizing resource usage.
- Promote efficiency in social services.
- Encourage innovation by facilitating the distribution of research findings.
- Stimulating job creation and business start-ups in Montreal, across Quebec and throughout Canada.
- Boost knowledge and technology transfer.
- Strengthen the positions of Montreal and Quebec as internationally recognized hubs in science and economy.
The Institute for Data Valorisation (IVADO) supports the development of processes that can extract trends, statistics or other relevant information from our massive and ever-growing banks of information (big data). IVADO promotes knowledge sharing among the researchers, partners, subject-matter experts and students in its network. The university institute’s goal is to contribute to greater global understanding in a context of academic freedom. IVADO actively supports its contributors, helping make their ambitious projects a reality.
Scientific synergy for improved decision making
The future of data science lies at the crossroads of several disciplines. Data science makes it possible to structure complex and heterogeneous data so that relevant information can be extracted from it. Operational research relies on an inter-disciplinary approach (mathematics, computer science and management) to design models and analyze situations or complex problems. Finally, artificial intelligence makes it possible to extract effective predictive models and what is truly big data intelligence. Thanks to IVADO, we have everything we need to make the best possible decisions and attain the results we want.
A grant from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund
Following its launch made possible through the support of donors, the Institute for Data Valorization received a major grant of $93.5 M in 2016 from the Canada First Research Excellence Fund for its project “Data Serving Canadians.” With the Fund strategically investing in fields where Canada’s post-secondary research institutions have the key strengths to become global leaders, this investment is helping reinforce Montreal’s position as an international front-runner in big data.
It’s happening right now
This is not the stuff of science fiction. The applications are tangible and the results are within reach. In a wide range of fields, infinite possibilities are opening up, such as:
- Better understanding of the population’s power consumption habits so that we can optimize power usage, control costs and prevent waste;
- Improved knowledge of regional or industry transportation needs to reduce environmental impact and enhance system reliability;
- Personalize therapeutic approaches and prescriptions according to the specific needs of each client;
- At the community scale, observe public health trends and issues to effectively influence policies and intervention measures for the benefit of the population.
A world leader
IVADO is made up of 560 graduate students and 90 professor-researchers from HEC Montréal, Polytechnique Montréal and Université de Montréal. The team includes Yoshua Bengio, a world-renowned expert in artificial intelligence and a deep learning pioneer, as well as Andrea Lodi, who holds the Canada Excellence Research Chair in Data Science for Real-Time Decision Making. The world’s first centre of expertise in intelligent transportation and operational research is right here in Montreal. This centre surpasses the one in the Boston area. This centre is IVADO.
The IVADO project aims to:
- Foster knowledge and innovation in the areas of big data management, artificial intelligence, operational research and data science;
- Develop and maintain the competitiveness of its industrial partners;
- Become Montreal’s flagship collaborative research platform by facilitating partnerships and collaboration among academic, industrial, public and semi-public actors;
- Promote knowledge transfer and the sharing of expertise, know-how and intellectual property in the areas of artificial intelligence, operational research and data science;
- Enhance the reputations of Montreal, Quebec and Canada on the world scale for being a hub for innovation and excellence in artificial intelligence, operational research and data science;
- Train the next generation of data scientists and address the need for qualified workers in this field.
Your gifts help fund grants, support academic research and promote knowledge sharing.
More specifically, IVADO will implement initiatives to:
- Attract top students with internationally competitive grants;
- Develop innovative and multi-disciplinary graduate programs designed for talented students and professionals;
- Mobilize and recruit professors, industrial researchers, partners and recognized experts to enrich the organization’s pool of specialists;
- Seek major strategic collaboration opportunities with partners from the academic, government and industrial sectors;
- Organize activities at partner sites (businesses, organizations, etc.), establish a partner-institute liaison program to strengthen ties between research and the various challenges affecting the targeted industries (power, transportation, healthcare, etc.).
Join the cause and give to this philanthropic project supported by Campus Montréal’s major fundraising campaign. Benefitting from the power of big data is possible, right here and right now, thanks to your support for IVADO.
Read more : IVADO.ca
Valérie Bécaert, Eng., PhD
The Institute for Data Valorisation (IVADO) aims to make Montreal a leading centre for wealth creation through data valorization. Galvanizing the best talents on campus, IVADO increases the scope and impact of big data activities carried out by establishments and their partners (corporations, public and semi-public agencies, associations, etc.). This positions Montreal as a world leader in the judicious and optimal exploitation of big data, a new resource that we generate daily in all spheres of life.More info