At the Institute for Data Valorization (IVADO), over 1,000 researchers, PhD students, postdocs and research officers fulfill the Institute’s primary mission to develop leading expertise in data science, optimization (operational research) and artificial intelligence.
Headed by Gilles Savard, IVADO is a bridge between the university’s areas of expertise and the needs of the business community.
“Montreal has one of the most dynamic artificial intelligence communities in the world,” explains Hugo Larochelle, a research scientist at Google and the lead for the Google Brain Team in Montreal.
IVADO is a world-renowned centre for advanced multidisciplinary skills that creates positive spin-offs for many sectors. For example, the institute helps develop economic activities around big data to improve decision making. It fosters industry partnerships between multinationals and start-ups on the one hand and administrative, societal and university stakeholders on the other. It also helps advance knowledge and train the next generation of data scientists.
- Strengthen the positions of Montreal, Quebec, and Canada as leaders in artificial intelligence.
- Boost knowledge and technology transfer.
- Stimulate job creation and business development in Montreal, Quebec, and Canada.
- Encourage innovation by publishing research findings.
- Speed up the transfer of innovation to society.
IVADO: Where philanthropy and partnerships work together
Philanthropic support helped IVADO create cross-cutting institutional ties between people who work in artificial intelligence, data science and operational research. Next came partnerships with our corporate members for research projects, the signing of research contracts, and the set-up of transfer activities.
Montreal: A true hub for artificial intelligence
“Artificial intelligence will very likely revolutionize our society,” said Yoshua Bengio, Scientific Director at IVADO. “This benefits society as a collective whole. The industry creates local jobs so that our talent can stay in the country. Companies like Google are opening research centres or headquarters in Montreal to make the city an internationally renowned hub of economic and scientific leadership.
All of society benefits
- 22 Fellowships Awarded in the Fields of Analytical Data and Business Intelligence, Operational Research and Artificial Intelligence
- Druide informatique donates $1 million to MILA laboratory
- Big News for Montréal: Google Donates $4.5 M to MILA
- Microsoft donates $6M to MILA
- Using big data to revolutionize energy consumption
Other impact stories
- Scholarships: Helping students make an impact on the national and international stage
- Sustainable development: Our society’s future depends on it
- The Carabins: All-around students who inspire excellence
- Entrepreneurship: Knowledge, know-how and connections
- Humanity: When values drive action to meet community needs
- Energy: A future powered through awareness and research
- Therapeutic innovation: Bringing world-class care to patients
- Shaping the future: The whole community prospers
- Montreal: A portal to the universe